Thursday, October 6, 2022

Schiller Woods CX - CCC #1

Schiller Woods in the city is the first round of the Chicago Cross Cup series (of 7).  It is a new venue as the typical kickoff (Caldwell Woods) is under construction.  The pre-race info was that it was flat with one hill used in multiple ways with a gravel run up.

This was a real power course.  Those with good power should be able to take advantage of the long grass sections.  This was me last year.  This year is up in the air.

The gravel run up had 2 barriers in the pre-ride but they came afoul of regulations because they were too far apart and they ended up scrapping them until later races.  So it became a gravel ride up for those with skill and space (Foreshadowing).

The turnout for the day's racing was really good - 532 people pre-registered.  70 in the 45+ race  (Bryan, Tony F. and myself) and 43 in the 55+ (Fran, George, Bob, Brad, Mark M.).  Old people basically fund these races.

So, we had perfect weather (high 50's) and dry grass and a nice course.  All that was left was to let the legs to do their thing.

The 55+ race was first (30 seconds after the 35+).  The boys battled it out.




In my race I started 4th row.  Bryan and Tony were near the back.  For the third race in a row I was able to clip in right away and had a good start.   (Well, except for forgetting to start my Garmin and GoPro.....rookie).  I lined up 30th but was inside the top 20 in the first meters.

After that it was a slow attrition.  My bib number was 99 (my group started with 65) so I tried to keep track of anyone 100+ that got past me.  At first it was fine, only 80's and 90's were passing me.  And I would make up a position or two in the longer grass power sections.  But then I had a morale blow.  See, Fran's race did 5 laps in their race.  So at the end of my lap 3 I expected to see 2 to go or maybe 3.  But the number 4 was showing loud and proud.  UGH!  My mouth was dry at this point and now my shoulders slumped.  

My prep for this race wasn't the best (Excuse list coming).  My car got totaled a couple weeks prior (everyone's ok) and I was totally stressed about getting a new car quickly - and in this market that really sucks.  Then after that stress ended I caught some kind of non-covid bug.  

So my mouth was dry in the third lap even after plenty of hydration for days and now I had to stumble home for 4 more laps.  The bittersweet moment of the race also happened on lap 4.  I could see Tony making progress and it was inevitable he was going to catch me.  Awesome for a guy who was supposed to be in Florida on a beach.  I decided to let him get past me the hard way and used too much brake on a downhill corner and laid it down.  Tony was nice enough to ask if I was ok as he passed by.  I hopped back on the bike but it took a lap to get any mojo back.




The coolest part of the race was when the leader lapped me.  Not just any leader, the 3 time BMX World Champion and current age group National Champion in CX.  I was ok with the lapped part because it meant I only had to do 6 laps instead of 7.  He came past right when we got to the gravel run up section.  I had never made it to the top riding each of the previous laps (so it was an actual run up for me) but by watching how he did it I was able to accomplish the task the last 2 laps.  It was now a good day.  I finished 40th/63.

The best part of cyclocross is the community.  I met people I hadn't seen since last season.  Kenny was on the microphone.  And all the Tower guys hung out after.  Fran even brought home made blueberry pie and chocolate milk for everyone.  What a guy!

Next is Trek Cup in Waterloo (Still not 100% but am giving it a go anyway) this weekend and then back to the CCC in Glenwood.


No comments: